- What new capabilities does SpecLink Cloud offer?
- Does SpecLink Cloud have the same functionality as SpecLink-E?
- How is SpecLink different from what I'm using now?
- Is writing specs in SpecLink faster than word processing?
- How will SpecLink streamline my workflow and save me time?
- Is SpecLink’s section content better than competing software?
- How do I get started with SpecLink?
Sharing up-to-date information is easier when you’re in the cloud. Keep your entire team on the same page throughout the entire design and review process. SpecLink Cloud makes it simple to comment on projects and easily coordinate plans and specs from a common data environment.
Dramatically simplify coordination between specification writers and designers working in Revit. BIM integration allows you to seamlessly connect specs and models within SpecLink Cloud. Visualize and adapt to changes as the design evolves, and easily monitor their impact. Click here to learn more.
In terms of innovative tools like BIM integration and cloud technology, SpecLink Cloud can do more than SpecLink-E. While SpecLink Cloud did not have some of SpecLink-E’s more peripheral tools at launch, all SpecLink-E functionality is available now.
New features have been added to SpecLink Cloud continuously since its launch. Speak with someone at BSD about the differences.
SpecLink delivers the industry’s best content through the most advanced software on the market. Built upon a robust master database, rather than static word processing files, you’ll get advanced capabilities that dramatically enhance your workflow.
1. Editing is faster, easier and more accurate in SpecLink.
Create specs up to 70% faster when you edit by inclusion, rather than deleting text you don’t need. As you make decisions within your project, intelligent links automatically include related requirements and exclude options that are contradictory. You can customize your own intelligent links to improve your efficiency and accuracy even more.
2. Work with the industry’s most comprehensive, up-to-date master database.
SpecLink’s intelligent database and automated reports help you avoid errors and omissions, and makes it simple to stay current with hassle-free, automatic updates. Continuous updates made by BSD’s in-house design professionals never disrupt workflow or affect your edits.
3. Synchronize specs with BIM models.
SpecLink is the industry’s first specification software to seamlessly synchronize your specifications with your Revit models and model objects. View your integrated BIM models and immediately evaluate the impact of changes as the design evolves.
Yes. Even if you can use your office master or a previous project spec without making any changes at all, preparing specs with SpecLink is much faster than word processing thanks to the following features:
Easy global formatting
Make changes to page format, paragraph numbering, headers/footers and more throughout your entire project—instantly, from one place. You can also produce a table of contents that includes page counts with a single click of the mouse.
Edit by inclusion
Editing by selecting text rather than deleting it dramatically speeds up editing. Simply select text to include from a user-friendly checklist. Unselected text is always available for future use, which makes it simple to re-use and modify previous projects.
Related text is automatically triggered as you make selections. More than 300,000 color-coded links automatically include relevant provisions (green), exclude incompatible options (red), and highlight other related options for your consideration (yellow). You can also build your own custom linking.
SpecLink offers many exclusive, time-saving features that give you powerful advantages over other specification-writing methods.
- Manage your specification project in a single database, rather than dozens of files. You can even generate short form or outline specs from the same project file you’ll use later for final construction documents.
- Context-sensitive “notes to the specifier” provide expert insight to enhance your decision-making process. View the notes in a separate window, and add your own. Notes never “clutter up” the screen, and you don’t have to delete or hide them before printing.
- Improve coordination and streamline collaboration with SpecLink’s cloud technology. Easily coordinate project plans and specs from a common data environment. Assess the impact of design changes immediately via BIM integration.
- SpecLink’s powerful relational database technology allows you to automatically generate and print 30 different intuitive reports for any project, including lists of required submittals, manufacturers and more. Build your own custom reports for additional quality assurance and project insight.
Easily incorporate LEED and other sustainable design requirements (including LEED v4) in SpecLink. Automatically activate the appropriate provisions when you select from commonly used design solutions.
SpecLink contains the industry’s most comprehensive, up-to-date database of master specifications. Our on-staff design experts continuously update and add to a robust database that currently includes 783 sections spanning virtually all building disciplines.
The database also features lists of relevant building product manufacturers, appropriate reference standards, sustainable design provisions (including LEED v4), product selection guidance, and more.
SpecLink conforms to the 2004 – 2016 update edition of CSI’s MasterFormat™ and the CSI 3-Part SectionFormat™. A handy reference to legacy MF95 Section Number and Name is also provided.
SpecLink’s master specifications are the most up-to-date of any system on the market. Our master database includes citations to more than 3,000 reference standards, all of which are continuously verified and audited annually.
Our full-time staff of expert specification writers is augmented by independent consultants, user feedback, and a comprehensive technical review committee to ensure that all updates are accurate, comprehensive, and timely.
Hundreds of important changes are made each quarter, as opposed to word processing systems that are updated every six or seven years. SpecLink includes hyperlinks for more information about every reference standard, including access to all documents available through IHS, Inc.’s standards store or the issuing agency.
Take advantage of a free trial to see firsthand how much faster and easier you can produce specifications with SpecLink.
Explore several unlocked sections and access free, unlimited support during your trial—including consultation with a specification writer on our staff.
SpecLink is available in three versions. The software can be installed for a single user, on a network, or on BSD’s cloud servers.
Catalogs are available for architecture, structural engineering, civil engineering, landscape architecture, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. A “basics” catalog is also available, which is suitable for low-risk or small project specifications.